Capping of an industrial waste disposal site
Rio Tinto Alcan (RTA) wished to complete the restoration of phases 1-A and 1-B of the industrial waste disposal site located at the RTA Vaudreuil plant on the eastern side of Jonquière, Québec. The site was used for the disposal of solid waste resulting from RTA production operations.
The project included site restoration works and final capping, in conformity with the site plans and specifications and in compliance with relevant environmental regulations. The final cap covers an area of around 22,600 m2 and includes a 1mm think high density polyethylene geomembrane layer textured on both sides.
Groupe Alphard was mandated by RTA to act as an expert third party during the geomembrane installation works, ensuring that works were conform with plans and specifications provided by the engineering and in compliance with relevant environmental regulations, guaranteeing that the completed works provided the expected levels of environmental performance.
Rio Tinto Alcan (Vaudreuil Plant)
- Analysis of geomembrane materials to ensure conformity with project technical specifications
- Inspection and approval of the soil base layer prior to the geomembrane installation
- Surveillance of the geomembrane installation, including verification of installation methods, destructive and non-destructive testing, verification of installed quantities, and the preparation of daily surveillance reports
- Coordination of site meetings during geomembrane installation
- Continuous communication with the client regarding works progress and potential risk areas
- Preparation of the final works conformity form, including the geomembrane deployment plan