Rehabilitation of a post-treatment water holding pond
The Neves Corvo mine is a copper and zinc mine operated by the Portuguese company Somincor, a division of Lundin Group.
The site’s existing holding pond, intended to contain wastewater following the completed treatment process, was non-functional due to a number of major problems related to its impermeability system.
Groupe Alphard’s mandate comprise the design of a new impermeability system for the 50,000 m3 capacity holding pond and the design of new hydraulic systems.
Neves-Corvo Mine, Portugal
- Preliminary design of the holding pond’s impermeability system, of inflow and outflow systems, and of the emergency spillway system.
- Preliminary and detail engineering of selected systems (plans and specifications)
- Call for bids documents and management of the call for bid process
- Quality assurance programmes for geosynthetic and natural materials
- Surveillance and coordination of pond demolition and reconstruction works
- Electrical leak location on installed geomembrane materials